VR Fitness: How sport meets virtual reality
The irruption of technology and its rapid progress have reached the world of fitness. It is already common to have certain wearable devices that help with performance in physical activity. However, in recent years another tool has joined to position itself as one of the favorites of users, that is, Virtual Reality helmets or viewers, which through this technology allow changing the scenarios in which sport is practiced, among many other functions.
In this way, the body assumes the control command, which encourages more precise and sophisticated movements. Being immersed in the virtual world, the user will be practicing that movement in concrete reality.
One of its main advantages is that those who get bored training in a closed environment or with a low visual stimulus, can achieve greater motivation with the possibility of being in the space they want and even with the company they prefer.
Undoubtedly, the world of eSports has ceased to be a simple pastime to become a millionaire industry, which is also sponsored by large companies.
Virtual Reality Sports Apps
Some applications for this type of sport are the following:
- FitXR: it is designed to train boxing and some dance classes. It has the option of a personalized digital trainer that guides the exercise.
- Beat Saber: focuses on rhythmic routines and boxing programs.
- Holofit: offers various types of scenarios, difficulty levels and multidisciplinary exercises. It has the option to enable the competition function.
- VirZOOM: bicycle that includes a viewfinder to enjoy the digital environment while pedaling.
- Bold: personalized fitness platform aimed at older adults.
- BlazePod: has a fitness focus and is designed for athletes. It offers a series of predefined activities and the option to create customized workouts.
- Peloton: these are virtual bikes that offer a variety of plans. It has a monthly subscription model.
FitXR web searches have increased by 2,400% over the past two years, largely driven by the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. FitXR is an app that has gained 11,500 users through Facebook, an increase of nearly double in the last year.
The company has raised a total of $8.8 million in funding to date and has indicated that it plans to expand its operations in Europe and North America.
While cardio and boxing apps are the most popular, sports such as basketball, tennis and target shooting also have virtual alternatives. Overall, fitness apps have been downloaded 400 million times in 2021 alone.
Business and sport, the path to leadership
Sport and business are two settings where people relate to each other and that are recognised in all cultures. The capacity for transformation they have shown in recent decades in response to a wide variety of challenges has been amazing.
Increase of spectators in eSports tournaments around the world
The video game industry continues to rise and hand in hand, the popularity of eSports follows the same path.