Advantages and disadvantages of travel technology in the Information Society
Are you interested in investing in the most relevant companies and ETFs dedicated to Travel technology?Open an account
‘Information society’ is the name given to the process of evolution we are living in a society that increasingly uses information and communication technologies (or ICTs); which, between 2015 and 2019, represented an expenditure of $205 million for companies worldwide, and which is growing at a stable 2.5% per year.
The information society is a consequence of the digital transformation and is based on the rapid dissemination of ideas, experiences and opinions, everything from the economy to our affective relationships are related through ICTs, consequently, our society evolves as a whole and faster, bringing increasingly effective solutions for day-to-day problems, and the tourism sector is no exception.
Let’s explore the advantages and disadvantages of ICTs in the tourism sector in the 21st century.
Advantages and disadvantages of travel technology
Big data, facial recognition, customer service and information management software are just some of the technologies that the travel and tourism sector currently uses. They facilitate many of the tasks that users perform when traveling and optimize internal processes in companies. However, like all technological advances, they also present some difficulties.
Advantages of travel technology
- Accessibility: people can access all the information they need about a tourist destination with a simple Google search. Book hotel rooms, buy flights and schedule tours in different parts of the world and on different dates from the comfort of their couch. No need to hire a travel agency to plan a vacation.
- Flexibility: finding deals or setting alarms to find the best flight and stay options is much easier, as is getting information about places to visit. And, if the need arises to change tickets and reschedule reservations, there is no need to go to the airline. In addition, tasks that used to be cumbersome, such as taking out travel insurance, can now be done from the phone.
- Security: Cybersecurity plays an important role in the travel industry, which is why so many identity checks are performed both when buying tickets and when boarding the plane. Cybersecurity travel technology, such as facial, fingerprint and document recognition, makes airports increasingly controlled environments.
Disadvantages of travel technology
- Privacy risks: by providing our personal information, such as identity, credit cards, e-mails, address, etc., we are also giving up certain rights to our privacy, allowing both the companies with which we make travel transactions and their allied companies to receive, store and use all our information.
- Scams: sites offering cheap flights or hotel reservations with offers that end up being scams are very common. Therefore, it is very important to check the reputation of the site on the Internet. If we do not find much information about it, it is better to go for safer offers.
- Greater State controls for companies: with the new regulations on information privacy in the European Union and the proposed laws in America, Asia and Oceania, companies must make a greater investment in cybersecurity and avoid at all costs agreements that sell information about their customers, which has a great economic cost for them and can increase the price of many of their services.
Advantages and disadvantages of eCommerce | BBVA Switzerland
With steady and increasing growth, e-commerce is at its peak. Therefore, here we will highlight the advantages and disadvantages of this type of transaction and how users' consumption habits have changed to open the road for a new type of businesses
The importance of big data
In one single minute, we are generating 1.8 terabytes of files in the cloud, 11 million instant messages and over 160 million emails