Advantages and disadvantages of 5G technology
Are you interested in investing in the most relevant companies and ETFs dedicated to 5G Technology?Open an account
To think that the future is still far away is to forget that tomorrow is already the future, and we will be living it as soon as we open our eyes at dawn.
In this path of technological advances, we went from having a truly pocket device that was used to make and receive calls from (almost) anywhere (1G), to being able to make up for that need by choosing to send a text message instead of calling (2G) while still having that possibility in the same device.
Then came the need to be able to access the internet wherever we were, and that was also possible through our cell phones (3G). And this trend continued until today where our infinite need for information is reflected in what we now know as every day, the daily surfing the net through our smartphones (4G).
The story does not end there, this need continues and grows, giving way to the development of the next level in our consumption of information and our way of being connected and interconnected with each other and with the things around us, the 5G technology.
All the great technological changes in history did not remain stagnant or reserved in their respective areas of knowledge, but transcended and disrupted all aspects of life, profoundly transforming everyday social life.
The promise of 5G, advantages and disadvantages
For some time now it has been said that in the next few years the 5G network will change our lives. However, in the course of that time, it has also sparked events that have led to the development of a whole series of discussions around its many benefits, but also its disadvantages.
Advantages of 5G technology
- Higher Download Speed. The 5G network will have the capacity to increase download speeds by up to 20 times (from 200 Mbps (4G) to 10 Gbps (5G)) and decreasing latency (response time between devices). These speeds will maximize the browsing experience by facilitating processes that, although possible today, still present difficulties.
- Hyperconnectivity. The 5G network promises the possibility of having a hyper-interconnected environment to reach the point of having the much desired “smart cities”. The correct performance of these new dynamics will depend on the bandwidth of 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Process optimization. It is also expected to revolutionize areas such as medicine (remote operations, for example), and traffic management and autonomous vehicles, as well as its implementation in the construction sector to optimize resources and reduce risks.
Disadvantages of 5G technology
- Immediate Obsolescence. The transition to the 5G network will require devices that can support it; current 4G devices do not have this capability and will become immediately obsolete.
- Technological exclusion. The implementation of the 5G network also implies a lack of immediate accessibility for average pockets, combined with a delay in its implementation due to a lack of means for its use.
- Insufficient Infrastructure. For the 5G network to function properly will require a whole ambitious investment in infrastructure to increase bandwidth and expand coverage, and this is not cheap. This situation will necessarily lead to delays in its implementation due to the high costs that governments will have to cover for 5G to function properly
- Risks in security and proper data handling. All of this requires optimal data management, and this is where the most conflictive part of the advantages versus disadvantages lies. And the fact is that, in the management of all this information, both from companies and individuals and even governments, not only issues such as Big Data techniques are involved in its study.
Each country is currently discussing the legal and ethical standards for the handling and use of this data, so that privacy is not affected by all this interconnectivity.
5G is a reality that in a short time will touch our lives like previous technologies, and it would be better to look at it now to take advantage of its benefits and avoid its risks.
5G technology, an industry called to change the world
The 5G generation is expected to generate a worldwide economic value of 12.3 billion dollars by 2035, which represents an important field of action for investors.
Internet of Things Enabling Technologies
To increase its applications, IoT works with technologies such as Big Data, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Blockchain, Cloud and Edge Computing, Augmented Reality and 5G.